If you’re planning to have a knee replacement, you’ll want a highly-qualified knee surgeon in New Orleans to perform the procedure. So how do you find the best surgeon who is right for you?
Following are some important factors to keep in mind.
Top Things to Look for in a Knee Surgeon in New Orleans
You want to find an orthopedic surgeon who is board-certified in orthopedic surgery and who specializes in knee replacements. He or she should have experience treating patients with your specific condition.
Here are five steps to finding the best orthopedic surgeon to perform your knee replacement.
1. Ask around. Begin by putting together a list of potential surgeons. Ask your friends, family and other healthcare providers for their recommendations.
2. Research credentials and experience. Take time to research the doctors’ experience and credentials. Look for a knee surgeon in New Orleans who is board-certified in orthopedic surgery and performs knee replacements regularly. You can even narrow down your search to orthopedic knee surgery. The more experience a doctor has, the better your results will be.
Also, confirm that the surgeon is in good standing with state and federal agencies and that he or she has no history of disciplinary actions or malpractice claims against them.
3. Examine hospital performance. Knee replacement surgery requires a team of highly skilled and experienced healthcare providers. So you should also consider the overall quality of knee replacement care at the hospital where your knee surgeon practices.
Find out where the orthopedic knee surgeons on your list can treat patients. If a particular hospital falls short in quality, determine if the surgeon also operates at a different facility. Otherwise, find a surgeon who treats patients at a hospital likely to offer you the best possible outcome.
4. Interview the knee surgeon in New Orleans. As you narrow down your list, call each surgeon’s office and ask for a consult appointment to meet and interview the doctor. When meeting with him or she asks yourself if you are comfortable talking with them. Does he or she answer your questions in a way you understand and respect your opinions?
Here are some questions to ask the doctor:
- Do you typically treat patients like me?
- How many knee replacements have you performed?
- What results do you usually see – do you have data to share?
- Which complications do you most frequently encounter from the surgery?
- What do you do to avoid complications or correct them if they occur?
5. Determine your insurance benefit. Your insurance coverage is a practical matter. To receive the most insurance benefits and pay the least out-of-pocket costs for your surgery, you need to choose a knee surgeon in New Orleans that participates in your plan.
But also keep in mind that just because a doctor participates in your insurance plan doesn’t mean he or she is a high-quality surgeon. You still need to consider the doctor’s expertise and experience.